10.0 and KDE-Print

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Mon Oct 17 13:22:19 CEST 2005

> Connected thru USB port on /soyo/ machine or Internal IP 192.168.1.103
> >
> > > Don't know the numbers for the printer location.
>
> Still don't know the numbers!!!!!

[cut]

> Yes it is cabled directly to the Router. As I said before the
> config in
> Windows XP Pro was easy.

If I'm right, the printer is attached to a PC through USB cable. If this
PS runs windows, install the printer (on that PC) normally under Windows
and make it shared. If this PC runs Linux with CUPS, install the printer
through kaddprinterwizard and select USB as printer type.

Once the printer is installed on that local PC, you have to make it accessible
on your network. Under Windows, this is done automatically. With Linux, let's
consider the 2 cases:
1) the PC next to the printer runs Windows, then select "SMB" as printer type
in kaddprinterwizard and try to find your printer with the SMB browsing
facilities, otherwise enter required information by hand
2) the PC next to the printer runs Linux: then you should definitely turns
on browsing in CUPS on all PCs. See CUPS documentation for that, but this
should be enabled by default. In that case, the printer should be viewable
on all Linux machines. If not, try to install it as "Remote printer"  and
use the address of the PC next to the printer as well as the queue name you
used when installing the printer on that PC (sounds confused, but it's clearer
when you have the GUI in front of you...)

Hope this helps.