Integration non kde applications with kdeprint

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Sat Nov 5 15:44:21 CET 2005

On 5 November 2005 08:14, Roman Glebov wrote:
> I am planning to integrate kdeprint into inkscape.

Great to hear this!

> Ideas how it should be done ?
> Sugestsions ?

Depends at what level you want to integrate. The easiest and the most obvious
is to just configure inkscape to use the kde "kprinter" application as the
default printing command, when available. Any application (kde or not) can do
this, provided that its printing command is configurable.

A deeper level of integration would mean, of course, linking with kdelibs, so
that you get access to the printing API offered by the kdeprint "sublibrary".
The printing API offers to the application a qt/kde-specific mechanism for
generating the Postscript code that will then be sent to the printer. I know
little of the internals of inkscape (I don't even know if it uses gtk
throughout or mixes multiple libraries ... mind you, I should investigate,
but I want to give you a first general answer). So, I know little about
internals of inkscape but I guess it would require some important adaptations
in its printing mechanisms in order to use the full power of the kdeprint
architecture.

Feel free to ask. I'm definitely interested in your work/experience, as this
will help me see in what measure kdeprint can become a generic technology,
cross-desktop and (eventually) cross-platform. These are long term goals for
me, but it's good to start early ;-)

Thanks for your interest.

--
Cristian Tibirna