cupsdoprint: Command not found

Sören Edzen soren at edzen.org
Wed Mar 16 22:56:01 CET 2005

Hi!

I've just installed suse 9.2 instead of upgrading from 9.1. I did it
because I've messed around so much with it I'd figured it would be
less work. It went very well except for one thing, printing from
KDE. That was one of the major reasons why I desided to install
fresh instead of upgrading. Before i made the new install I coulnd't
even get the kde print manager to run. I managed to set up cups
alright. From programs not related to KDE printing was no problem.
The situation now is a bit better. I can run the KDE printmanager
and set up a printer via Yast, but when I try to print I get the following
error:

print error occurred. Error message received from system:

cupsdoprint -P 'okipage' -J 'borland_kylix_install_log' -H
'localhost:631' -U 'soredz' -o ' copies=1
multiple-document-handling=separate-documents-collated-copies
orientation-requested=3'
'/opt/kde3/share/apps/kdeprint/testprint.ps' : execution failed with
message: cupsdoprint: Command not found.

I copied the whole print command from above and executed it from a
konsole. To my surprise it worked. I've checked that the path to
cupsdoprint was in $PATH. Why doesn't it work from within KDE then?

When I try to configure the printer from the print manager and klick
OK I get the following error message:
Unable to retrieve the printer list.
Error message received from manager:
Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is
correctly installed and running. Error: connection refused.
And the cups server goes down. How do I solve this?

The only thing that poited at some kind of error in the
/var/log/cups/error_log whas this:
[snip]
StartListening: Unable to bind socket for address 00000000:631 -
Permission denied
[/snip]

I've searched the kde-print archive for this problem but haven't
found any solution.

TIA Sören

--
Sören Edzen, Sjöfartsgatan 22A, 97437 Luleå, Sweden
Phone: 0920-255133, Cell: 070-6531975
mailto: soren at edzen.org