Auto is missing in kprinter; still a problem

Herbert Engelmann Herbert.Engelmann at lrz-muenchen.de
Wed Jul 27 11:44:25 CEST 2005

Hi,

a month ago I sent the following to this list:

   as far as I can see there is no more "Auto"-papertray
   in kprinter in kde 3.4.0.

   Why was this changed?

   What can I do to get the old behaviour?

   Thanks

This is still a problem. Maybe I should give more information.

We have about 15 printers. These printers have different papersizes
in their trays. I cannot advertise to all our potential users where
in each of these printers there is eg. DIN-A3 paper.

As these printers all are aware, what sizes are in their respective
trays, it sufficient to put a "PageSize" statement into a printer file
and to ask not for a distinct input tray. The printer then selects the
right tray and prints the file. This is, as far as I can see, in
accordance with the explanations given in "PostScript Printer Description
File Format Specification", by Adobe.

kprinter in its older versions supported this by offering an additional
virtual tray named "Auto". When the "Auto" tray was selected there was no
command for a particular input tray and there was a PageSize statement
in the postscript file.

When kprinter offers no "Auto" tray, as it does now, the user must select
one of the real trays. If he needs a certain paper size and it is not in
that tray the print job stalls and blocks the whole queue. To make matters
worse, I cannot tell the printer to take the paper for this job from another
tray. That job needs to be canceled and repeated. That's not funny.

I tried to solve that problem by putting an additonal tray, called
"auto", into the ppd-file. This does not work either, because kprinter
obviously thinks under these circumstances, that it must not put
a "PageSize" statement into the postscript file and puts a "PageRegion"
statement there instead. "PageRegion" tells the printer not to look
for the right tray holding the right paper size. The printer takes the
first non-empty tray. So we are back to stalling, blocking, canceling
and repeating.

So now I do not see what I can do to solve this problem.

Maybe one of you, reading this has any suggestion.

Thanks and regards

Herbert Engelmann
- --
H. Engelmann, 089-289-28836, engelmann at lrz.de