kprinter support of CUPS 1.2

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Fri Jul 1 20:21:23 CEST 2005

On Friday 01 July 2005 18:17, George Liu wrote:
> There're still printer features only available for Windows, like
> ProofJob, UserCode, LockedPrint. The main reason is CUPS PPD doesn't
> provide a mechanism to allow arbitrary user input.

That's not specific to *CUPS* PPD, but it is so because the official
Adobe specification for PPD files does not provide for this.

CUPS-1.2 will support an extension to the Adobe PPD standard that will
cover this kind of requirement.

> (Kprinter did provide
> a mechanism to write a printer UI plugin, but has many limitations)
>
> CUPS will have extended PPD support from 1.2. I copied some part of
> cups/cups/sample.ppd from cups weekly build r4547.

Ah, you are already aware of that.

> Is it possible for kprinter to support those CUPS PPD extentions?

Surely kprinter will have to support that mechanism in the future
KDE releases.

> We do
> have a lot of Linux users craving to have all features that are
> supported by Windows.

:-)

I am one of these too.  :)

> Thanks