kprinter doesn't work together with CUPS

Markus Kitzler kitzler at tuwien.ac.at
Mon Jan 31 10:54:09 CET 2005

Version: KDE 3.2.1
Installed from: SuSE RPMs
OS: Linux

Used LPD-printing system, everything worked properly. Then I installed CUPS
rpm-packages. CUPS works and is fully accessible via http://localhost:631/.
Also printing via lpr works fine. But printing via the kprinter-dialog
(kghostview, openoffice, kmail, etc...) does not work any more.

After submitting a print job by clicking "Print" in the dialog absolutely
nothing happens: No jobs are displayed on neither the CUPS port
(http://localhost:631) nor under any kde-jobviewer or lpq.

Have tried to re-install all the relevant rpm-packages (even kde-libs) but did
not succeed. Not even switching back to the LPD printing system I was using
before did resolve this problem. Still cannot print via the kprinter-dialog.

Printing from the kprinter-dialog to a ps-file is possible, though. And I can
print this ps-file via both cupsdoprint and the lpr-command.
So, it seems as if the printing-information is not passed on to the
CUPS-server by the kprinter-dialog. Maybe something internal is broken (?).

$KDEHOME/share/config/kprinterrc:
[KFileDialog Settings]
Preview Size=60
Recent Files=
ShowPreviews=false
ViewMode=SmallColumns

[KFileDialog Speedbar]
Speedbar IconSize=32

[KPrinter Settings]
ApplicationOptions=
DialogReduced=false
DocDirectory=$HOME
PrintCommand=
Printer=Print to File (PostScript)

$KDEHOME/share/config/kdeprintrc:
[$Version]
update_info=kdeprintrc.upd:kde-3.1-toolbar

[CUPS]
Host=localhost
InstallDir=
Login=
Password=
Port=631
SavePassword=true

[Filter]
LocationRe=
Printers=

[General]
ExternalPreview=true
PreviewCommand=kghostview
PrintSystem=lpdunix
ShowStatusMsg=true
TestPage=
TimerDelay=5
UseLast=true
ViewMenuBar=true
ViewToolBar=false

[Jobs]
Limit=0
Size=757,496

[LPR]
Mode=LPR

/etc/cups/cupsd.conf:
ServerName euklid
Classification none
DefaultCharset UTF-8
DefaultLanguage en
PrintcapFormat BSD
RemoteRoot remroot
SystemGroup sys
ServerCertificate /etc/cups/ssl/server.crt
ServerKey /etc/cups/ssl/server.key

<Location />
  Encryption IfRequested
  Satisfy All