bugreport: printing in spite of deleting print job

Karl Scheel karl.scheel at sympatico.ca
Fri Jan 28 04:29:05 CET 2005

I have had this problem myself on many occasions, and found that only the root
can effectively kill a print job. You may be able to kill a print job as a
normal user if you are given enough permissions to do so, although I haven't
yet tried this myself. However, beware that giving a normal user root
priviledges for the print spooler may compromise the security of your system.

You must remember that Linux has been designed to be a multi-user system; it
tends to conserve print jobs. I found that if the root does not kill the
printjob, not only would it continue to print after a momentary power
interruption to the printer, but also following a reboot of the entire
system. :-(

If you find a secure way to kill a print job as a normal user, please let me
know. In the meantime, to keep from wasting paper, please keep your printer
off until the job has been killed by root.

Regards,
Karl