Implicit Classes of CUPS and Drives Setting in KPrinter

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Thu Jan 20 15:44:37 CET 2005

> Hi!
>
> I want use 2 server CUPS that point at the same network
> printer, using the
> Implicit Classes in CUPS.
> The print works fine, but in the printer settings of
> Kprinter, i don't have the
> subwindow of driver settings. If I stop 1 of these servers,
> the driver settings
> subwindow there is.
>
> There is somebody that can help me about this problem?

Kurt is the CUPS expert, nevertheless what happens is that
a class in CUPS doesn't have the driver concept as it consists
of several printers that can use various drivers. An implicit
class appears when you have 2 printers broadcasted with the
same name on the network, it is not required that the 2 print
queues actually refer to the same physical printer and/or
use the same driver. And I don't think the CUPS checks whether
this is the case or not (in which case it could possibly provide
you with a driver).

When you stop one server, the implicit class disappears and is
replaced by a real printer, which has a driver associated.

I think that there's an option in CUPS that prevents the server
to hide the real print queues that are also part of an implicit
class. What you can also do is disabling to use of implicit
classes, the printer will then appear twice, as prname at server1
and prname at server2.