KDE Print Manager Error

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Mon Feb 14 09:27:34 CET 2005

> I couldn't figure how to reply from the archives so I put
> this together
> by hand and
> subscribed to the list but so far, no mail.
> Michael, I believe I indicated the CUPS server is not running and I
> can't figure out
> how to start it or actually it wont start and I don't know
> how to start
> it.  Anyway,
> here is what I get following your suggestions:
>
> lchata at ChatagnierL-Home:/opt$ ps -ef | grep cupsd
> lchata    1150   950  0 08:29 pts/2    00:00:00 grep cupsd
> lchata at ChatagnierL-Home:/opt$ (note: this tells me nothing.)

This tells me that the CUPS server is definitely not running :-)

> So, I start cupsd the Debian way and get this message:
> ChatagnierL-Home:/opt# /etc/init.d/cupsys start
> Starting printing system service: cupsdcupsd: Child exited
> with status
> 98! ChatagnierL-Home:/opt#
> The above is the same message I get every time I start or
> restart cupsd.

Well, as long as the CUPS server is not running, KDEPrint won't
be able to use it. But the problem doesn't seem to be related
to KDE as you can't even start CUPS from the command-line.
I can't help much here. However, what you can try is to set
LogLevel to debug2 in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, try to start the
CUPS server and monitor the log file /var/log/cups/error_log
to look for any relevant message that would help to locate the
problem.

Note: to monitor a file use "tail -f <filename>".