Password Authentication for SUSE (use "lppasswd" to add a user)

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Mon Feb 7 02:40:33 CET 2005

On Monday 07 February 2005 00:06, Dennis Smith wrote:
> I'm using KDE 3.3.0 from SuSE 9.2

This is normally a question for SUSE, because the SUSE CUPS
packagers have tweaked the CUPS configuration from the defaults.
You should normally also be able to find hints in the SUSE
Knowledge Base.

SUSE usually puts a README file into their packages outlining
any specifics about their packaging....

> The add printer wizard works fine until I'm asked for a user password
> authentication, which does not recognize my password.

Anyway, IIRC SUSE use the "AuthType BasicDigest" (or was it "AuthType
Digest"?) in their cupsd.conf. You should check it.

If this is the case, it means you can *not* authenticate as any user
with the system password (as is stored in /etc/shadow), but you must
authenticate using a different password database.

Most likely this database is still to be populated.

To fill it, use the "lppasswd" command. To add root, or any other user,
to the lppasswd database, run (as root)

  lppasswd -a root
  lppasswd -a username

You will be prompted for a password. You can use a different password
from your system password.

(This whole thing is an option provided by CUPS to increase security,
and SUSE have choosen to set it up by default, but forgot to warn
users.)

If you dont want to use it, set cupsd.conf to use "AuthType Basic"
and restart cupsd.

> Changing the user to root and
> using the root password doesn't work either.  It then asks for a user.
>
> Thank you for any help you can give me.
>
> Dennis Smith

Cheers,
Kurt