Short report about a partial printing summit at LWE SF 2005

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Wed Aug 17 20:20:59 CEST 2005

Hello

As you might know [1], I was kindly invited to participate in the
linuxprinting.org  (http://linuxpriting.org) booth at LWE-SF 2005.

I met there some of the important people from the Linux printing landscape:

Till Kamppeter (linuxpriting.org and Mandriva)
Kurt Pfeifle (KDE, CUPS and FreeNX)
David Suffield (HP Linux printing drivers)
Patrick Powell (LPRng)

There also were representatives from our major sponsor for that particular
event, Ricoh: George Liu, Hitoshi Sekine as well as Ulrich Wehner from
Lanier.

I was a humble starting kdeprint maintainer in a world of giants. People
around (both my booth colleagues and the visitors) had only superlatives for
the different KDE print technologies, which speaks a lot about the amazing
quality and quantity of the work put into these by Michael Goffioul and his
helpers. I have really big shoes to fill now, and I try to do my best.

From the numerous discussions and insights I received in SF, I came up with a
consolidation of the short term plans for the work on kde printing tools and
tech.

In urgency (and future chronological) order:
1) complete support for string, enum, password and integer data types in
Foomatic
2) add such support (as in 1) to the CUPS backend interface.
3) port kde print code to Qt4/KDE4
4) take in the account as much as possible the usability suggestions in both
usability.org and bugs.kde.org

In addition, a permanent care I will grant to tending to bug reports.

I have no precise enough estimates of time required for each of the above
major development chapters. I know, although, that for the time being (and
for many months ahead, unless I get a KDE related job), I will have no more
than 15h/week for KDE development, of which the huge majority will go to
kdeprint.

If you have suggestions concerning the order or the contents of the
development targets above, let me know.

Thank you

[1]
http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/1311