Openoffice.org & kprinter: lose first page when printing 2 pages per sheet

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Fri Sep 10 15:35:46 CEST 2004

> > Last try: print from OO, through kprinter printing to a PS file,
> > do NOT select multiple pages per sheet. Then print the resulting
> > PS file to the real printer using the command:
> >
> > lpr -P<printer> -o number-up=2 <file.ps>
> >
> > replacing with the actual printer and filename. Does this work?
> >

> Yes (or no): this procedure gives the output with the *missing* first
> page! I hope this gives you an idea of what might be wrong.

More or less. It tells me that it's not related to kdeprint/kprinter.
Indeed, in the last case, what kprinter is doing is taking the PS
coming from OO and copy it as-is to a PS file.
So it looks like there's some incompatibility between the PS generated
by OO, the CUPS internal procedure to print multiple pages per sheets
(which is what happened with the "lpr ... -o number-up=2...") and
the printer driver.
Just to be sure, you should try to print directly from OO to a PS file,
making sure that the generated PS *is* the same as the one received
by kprinter (make sure to use the same PS level and the same PS driver
in OO). Then try to print it with "lpr ... -o number-up=2 ...".
If I'm right, this should give you the same problem. Otherwise, I have
no idea where it comes from. :-(