Fonts in kprinter

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Mon Nov 8 10:47:30 CET 2004

> Goffioul Michael wrote:
>
> >What do you mean exactly?
> >- changing font in the GUI?
> >- changing font in the print result?
> >
> >Fonts are not handled directly by kprinter, they are requested by the
> >application and served by Qt/X11.
> >
> >Michael
> >

> I mean font in the print result.
>
> Can you tell me more in depth about the last you have written ?

When an application prints text, it requests a font to the system and
use it in the print data. However, the font provided might not be the
one requested if the latter is not available; the system might then
provide another one as substitution. All this is out of the control of
kdeprint.

Another issue is related to font embedding. The print data are generated
in PS language. When a font is used by the application, a piece of code
is added in the print data that tells the rasterizer (used later, in the
driver) which font to use. This means that the font should be also available
to the rasterizer. If it's not the case (for various reasons), then it's
better to embed the font directly in the print data such that the rasterizer
can access it. This features is a property enabled at Qt/system-level, in
"qtconfig", "Print(er)" section.

I don't know what is exactly your problem. If you're still lost, please
explain in details under which circumstances the printed font doesn't match
your expectation.