no printers shown when file exists

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Mon Nov 8 09:29:41 CET 2004

> Hi Guys!
>
> I tried, but didn't find a bug tracker. I don't care, since
> it's not critical.
>
> If the file
>  $HOME/.kde/share/apps/kdeprint/printerdb_cups.txt
> does exist with zero size, no printers will be shown in the
> add printer
> wizard. This happened to my default user, when installing
> foomatic on my
> debian/(sarge|sid). Removing the file resulted in the proper
> file, 7.7 M big,
> being properly created and my printer working fine.

Well, let's call it a feature. Printer DB is simply cached in that
file to avoid reparsing all the available printer models each time
you add a printer. However, 0-sized file is not invalid, it means
no driver has been found on the system. Note that this file should
*never* be part of any package, as it is auto-generated. The problem
is that the user got that 0-sized file, but I don't know why.

I should probably add a "Rebuild database" button somewhere.