Printer

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu Feb 5 21:10:14 CET 2004

Erik Jakobsen wrote:
> Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>
>> Erik Jakobsen wrote:
>>
>>> Hi. I have a server, that also acts as a printerserver for my 2
>>> printers. I can print to them via Samba, and via the network from my
>>> other computers. The printer setup is CUPS via port 631.
>>>
>>> Now I have set up a SuSE 9.0, and want to could be able to print to
>>> the 2 printers also via the server.
>>>
>>> I have started the Kprinter on the 9.0 computer, and can go into the
>>> wiazrd.
>>

>> This shouldn't be required at all. It is much, much, much simpler.
>

> Sounds very good.
>

>> *Any* Linux workstation in the same subnet (and kprinter also) should
>> be able to pick up the available printers from the server automatically.
>> Unless there are special security concerns, you should do it this way.
>

> ok.
>
>> On the CUPS server, make sure that cupsd.conf contains
>>
>>   Browseing On
>>   BrowseAddress @LOCAL
>

> good.
>
>> (OK -- the @LOCAL macro may not work with older versions of CUPS. In
>> this case replace it with a valid "broadcast address" including your
>> clients, like 10.255.255.255, or use "BrowseAddress @IF(eth0)"...)
>

> I'm not quite sure what you mean here ?.

If you tell me the output of "ifconfig" for your server and client(s),
I'll return you a valid "BrowseAddress" setting.

If you don't have PPP connectivity (modem or ISDN) to the internet,
you can also use

    BrowseAddress 255.255.255.255

>> On the CUPS client(s), make sure that cupsd.conf contains
>>
>>   Browsing On
>

> good.
>

>> and that it doesn't include a "BrowseDeny From <cups-server>", but
>> rather includes a "BrowseAllow From <cups-server>". You are sure to
>> pick up the server's printer announcements if you set
>

>>   BrowseAllow from All
>>   BrowseDeny from None
>

> Very nice.
>
>> To be sure, restart cupsd on clients and server. From now on, every
>> printer added to the server should appear automatically within 30
>> seconds on the clients, fully usable with all features of the driver.
>

> That indeed sounds easy Kurt.
>
> But how to get rid of the set up I made myself ?.

On the clients, delete the locally defined printers (if it was successful).
Either via KDE tools or by deleting the "/etc/cups/printers.conf" file

>> Cheers,
>> Kurt
>

> Bis bald alles gute aus Dänemark.

Cheers,