Printer

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu Feb 5 20:54:44 CET 2004

Erik Jakobsen wrote:
> Hi. I have a server, that also acts as a printerserver for my 2
> printers. I can print to them via Samba, and via the network from my
> other computers. The printer setup is CUPS via port 631.
>
> Now I have set up a SuSE 9.0, and want to could be able to print to the
> 2 printers also via the server.
>
> I have started the Kprinter on the 9.0 computer, and can go into the
> wiazrd.

This shouldn't be required at all. It is much, much, much simpler.

*Any* Linux workstation in the same subnet (and kprinter also) should
be able to pick up the available printers from the server automatically.
Unless there are special security concerns, you should do it this way.

On the CUPS server, make sure that cupsd.conf contains

   Browseing On
   BrowseAddress @LOCAL

(OK -- the @LOCAL macro may not work with older versions of CUPS. In
this case replace it with a valid "broadcast address" including your
clients, like 10.255.255.255, or use "BrowseAddress @IF(eth0)"...)

On the CUPS client(s), make sure that cupsd.conf contains

   Browsing On

and that it doesn't include a "BrowseDeny From <cups-server>", but
rather includes a "BrowseAllow From <cups-server>". You are sure to
pick up the server's printer announcements if you set

   BrowseAllow from All
   BrowseDeny from None

To be sure, restart cupsd on clients and server. From now on, every
printer added to the server should appear automatically within 30
seconds on the clients, fully usable with all features of the driver.

Cheers,
Kurt