port printer

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Wed Feb 4 16:33:29 CET 2004

Serge wrote:

> I have Debian woody with KDE3. My printer, on port /dev/usb/lp0, works
> with lprng and xpdq.
>
> I would like to use kdeprint and kprinter.
>
> But when I try to configure the port in kdeprint I get the message
> "/dev/usb/lp0 is not a detected port, URI not valid".

CUPS can only use interfaces which are present on the system. KDEPrint
is "only" a GUI frontend to CUPS (with some very powerful enhancements).

Tell your root user to run the command "lpinfo -v". It lists all
available "backends" (or device URI stubs) seen by cupsd.

"lpdinfo -v | grep usb" would list all USB ports.

If lpinfo doesn't show any, then there is another problem on your
box. Maybe low level stuff, like a missing kernel module. You should
start troubleshooting there then.

If "lpinfo -v" shows USB support, it should be available for KDEPrint
also without any further problem

> What is wrong?
>
> Thank you

Cheers,