Kprinter problem with some fonts

Neil Williams neil at metamedia.uk.com
Tue Feb 3 16:25:25 CET 2004

Dear KDE Print

resolving my issue. I have been helped a great deal by Michael Goffioul
who is a subscriber to the list. Unfortunately we haven't been able to
solve the problem but have eliminated Kprinter as the root cause.

I now have a far more solid example of the problem, although I don't
understand what is happening. Currently I have a file test.html
(attached) which I created in textedit (a simple Qt application). The
test file uses Arial, Verdana and Verdana [Microsoft] fonts.

Printing from various applications gives different results:

OpenOffice.org - prints the file well and can generate a good PDF.

textedit - prints the arial font well. Both Verdanas are garbage but
there is a noticable difference between them.

konqueror - prints the arial font well. Both Verdanas are garbage but
are look the same. The PDF output from Kprinter produces garbage (attached).

Print output from the PDF exported from OOo:

Acrobat Reader - prints the file well.

Kghostview - alot of characters have faint horizontal lines which is
very annoying (and the original complaint). The text is readable though
for all fonts.

GV - same as Kghostview. Onscreen was particularly ugly until I turned
on anti-aliasing.

Conclusions:

1) Kprinter is not the root cause of the problem, but there are issues
with its PDF output.

2) The strange and annoying horizontal lines appear to come from GV.

3) The Verdana fonts used are causing problems for all the Qt based
applications tested.

My next action is to look at GV in more detail and inform TrollTech of
the issue with textedit.

Any comments or pointers from the list would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

Dr Neil Williams
Director
MetaMedia