kprinter polling

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Wed Dec 1 20:14:02 CET 2004

Are you sure you looked into the *correct* kdeprintrc and kprinterrc ??
And not an old one, which is't used any more? (See, sometimes an upgrad
from KDE-2.x to KDE-3.x may leave over the old $HOME/.kde directory and
the new $KDEHOME may be now named $HOME/.kde3....)

Test it by changing a setting from the kprinter GUI, and then check
if it gets written into the file.

Next, try to start kprinter from a konsole window and see if you
get any output on stdout (may not be the case, if stripped of all
debugging symbols).

Then, you could try to run it under "strace" from console.

 * "strace -eopen kprinter" shows you all files kprinter attempts to
    open. See if there is any network path amongst the verbose output.
 * "strace -e trace=network kprinter" to trace all the network related
    system calls. See if that gives some hint.
 * "strace kprinter" shows all system calls kprinter makes. See "man
    strace" for more detailed explanations and hints, if you are not
    afraid of it. (Actually, the strace manpage is one of the better
    ones, providing even examples, yay!)

Last, you can try to the highly secret "kdebugdialog" (Psst!.... never
tell anybody it exists. I have a plan to sell a few dozen title stories
to PC Magazine and PC World and the like, once we dominate the desktop,
which all have variants of the one and only headline "50 more secret
KDE power tools revealed".) "kdebugdialog should pop up a GUI, which
lets you select which applications should give debugging output and
which ones not. If you have the same version as I have, you should
checkbox "500 kdeprint". (The line on top lets you search via partial
strings.). Run also "kdebugdialog --help" and "kdebugdialog --fullmode"
to see if it helps.

> I'd rather keep printing via kprinter though, because it allows for more
> options (two pages on one etc.) :-)

That's the only reason why you get help here :)

But, hey, the two pages on one sheet is possible from the CUPS
commandline:

 lp -d printer -o pages-up=2 /path/to/file

;-)   ;-)

> Frank

Cheers,
Kurt