Using xprint in KDE-Print

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Thu Aug 12 16:01:59 CEST 2004

There's nothing currently to support XPrint. However, it'd be
great if you want to do it. Note however that in the current
KDE/Qt architecture, Qt is responsible for the print data rendering
and conversion to PS, so kdeprint doesn't take care of it. What
kdeprint (and its plugins) does is to list available printers,
provide access to printer settings, and send the generated PS to
the underlying print system (CUPS,LPR...) with the appropriate set
of options. When possible some settings are fed back to the app,
the main one being the page size extracted from a driver file.

If you want to support XPrint in a plugin, there's a few classes
to re-implement (the best is to look at an existing simple plugin
like lpdunix or rlpr) like:
- KMManager : this class is responsible for printer listing, driver
- KMUiManager: this class is responsible for the UI customization
- KMJobManager : this class is responsible for the job listing and
control
- KPrinterImpl : this class is responsible for sending the job to
the underlying print system

Michael.