Missing/corrupt PPD files?

Jason Ahrens jason.ahrens at rogers.com
Tue Apr 20 17:09:57 CEST 2004

I have changed every line ending with 'None/0.000:' to 'None/0.000: ""'. I
restarted CUPS for good measure.

I still see no differences though. To be sure, I deleted and added the printer
again, however I still do not get the properties tab that allows me to select
colour/BW or resolution at print time. During the printer add, I still got
the error that KDE was unable to load the requested driver. Exact error:

'Unable to load the requested driver:'

However the printer does get created and I can print to it using 'default'
settings. Using KDE to delete and add the printer as new erases my 'modified'
PPD file and does not replace it in the /etc/cups/ppd directory. I have not
yet figured out where KDE put it, however now the CUPS administrator reports
a client-error when I attempt to configure (resoution, etc..). It seems to
only work if I add the printer via CUPS and let KDE auto-discover it. The end
result to KDE is identical, but I can change the resolution and such from the
CUPS administrator then.

It may be interesting to note then that when I used foomatic to make a PPD
file originally, I had the same issue (printable to, but could not
configure). It seems I have to create the printer with CUPS to get any
control over resolution and such.

Jason