Printing options

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Oct 28 05:24:15 CET 2003

Goffioul Michael wrote:
> OK, let me make this a little more clear about how it works.
> QPrinter/KPrinter constructor has an argument that tells the
> PS generator what resolution to use:
> - PrinterResolution: 75 dpi
> - ScreenResolution: the actual screen resolution
> - HighResolution: 600 dpi
> Those values are fixed and the actual printer resolution as
> determined in the PPD file is not considered. Most apps uses
> the second option because it's the easiest to produce WYSIWYG
> print result (konqueror uses 75 dpi, kword uses 600 dpi).

I'm still not very clear on this.

You said that it will use either the PrinterResolution (is that 72 DPI?) or
the ScreenResolution (actual screen resolution).

BUT, does it still print the picture the same size?  Or is it like screen
resolution where when you increase the resolution, the image gets smaller.

I know that this doesn't make any difference with KWord because if you
import a picture, you can set the size of it by changing the size of the
frame it is in.

So, if I have my screen set at 100x100 DPI and I print a web page with a
large JPEG and then download it and print if from the "Image Viewer", will
they be the same size?  I tried this and there didn't seem to be any
difference.  The size of both of them was 6 inches wide for a 600 pixel
wide image -- 100 DPI.

So, which applications would size the image based on 72 DPI?

Do I understand correctly that if I set a higher screen resolution that the
image from Konqueror will be smaller?

--
JRT