Printing options

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu Oct 23 01:55:55 CEST 2003

James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> I'm not exactly clear on this.  My PPD for my old line printer has:
>
> *DefaultResolution: 360dpi
> *Resolution 60dpi: "1 dict dup /HWResolution [60 60] put setpagedevice"
> *Resolution 180dpi: "1 dict dup /HWResolution [180 180] put setpagedevice"
> *Resolution 360dpi: "1 dict dup /HWResolution [360 360] put setpagedevice"
>
> So, it has both a "DefaultResolution" and three "Resolution" settings

No it has only three "Resolution" settings, one of which is the default.
If you select to "Configure Printer" in the web interface, you may be
able to change it to a different default resolution. The default resolution
is used by the printer's PS interpreter (which may be CUPS if it is a non
PS printer) to apply if the application-generated PS doesn't include another
resolution directive....

Similar goes for other user-selectable options: various settings possible,
one of which is the default.