Printing options

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sun Oct 19 23:36:22 CEST 2003

Anthony PAUL wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have problems using HP PS Printers with Kapplications (kde2.2 & kde3)
> and Cups 1.1.19
> I use PPD file taken from a Win2000 box
> It seems Kapp send too huge files to the printer.
>
> Printing text files or test page works very well, but when I want to
> print a doc with graphics from a Kapp, it takes a while to print.
>
> For my example, I try to print a JPG from konqueror.
> If I click on "print" button, I have to wait 3 minutes while the printer
> is receiving data before it prints.
> Since I don't know how to get the PS file sent by konqueror, I try to
> print one more time but with 'to file (postscript)' option. I get foo.ps.
>
> If I type 'lpr foo.ps', it takes also 3 minutes. So I guess konqueror
> send this file to my printer.
>
> Since I also don't know how to get resolution of a ps file, I use:
> ps2ps -r 600x600 foo.ps res.ps
> and I print it: lpr res.ps
> Then it prints really fast !
>
> It also prints fast if I print from StarOffice (which doesn't seems to
> use kprinter)
>
> My printer is configured with 600dpi in my Cups configuration, so I
> guess it's a kprinter problem.
> How can I make it working better ?
>
> Thanks by advance. Hope my explaination is understandable...

I would guess that the problem is that the Qt PostScript driver is
embedding the image in a PS file and leaving the job of scaling it to the
printer resolution to the printer.  Actually, this is the correct way to do
it in some cases.  But, the processor in you printer takes a long time to
scale the image.

By converting it to the resolution of the printer using: "ps2ps" with the
faster processor on your system, it is much faster.

So, this *is* a KDE Print issue.  Should KPrinter be aware of the
resolution of the printer and use the Qt PostScript driver to make a PS
file with that resolution.

NOTE that this is apparently what happens with Star Office (I am using Open
Office and am assuming that it is the same) because it allows you to
specify the resolution of the printer when you print.  OTOH, it won't let
you make a PS file without a resolution which appears to be what is
happening with KPrinter.

Best solution would appear to be to have both options available since you
would want to make a PS without resolution if you were making a PDF or a
generic PS file.  But, when you make a printer specific PS file, you want
it to have the resolution of the printer.

--
JRT