Printing options

Paul A. annataka at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 17 11:39:00 CEST 2003

>From: Michael Goffioul <goffioul at imec.be>
>
>I don't think you can consider it as a kprinter problem. It just
>generates what konqueror asked for, and sends it to the print
>spooler (CUPS). I think that konqueror generates PS at 75dpi.
>If you're using a PS printer with a Windows PPD files, I guess that
>CUPS doesn't do any complex processing on the generated PS file
>and just insert some PS snippets (extracted from the PPD) file
>before sending it as-is to the printer. So, if it takes 3 minutes
>to print, I would think that the printer is slow at processing a
>file at 75dpi when resquested to print at 600dpi. In any case,
>there's nothing to be done at kprinter level.
>
>Could you try to print a 3rd-party generated PS file. For example
>convert a text file to PS using enscript, and print it using "lpr".
>Does it print fast?
>
>Michael.

Thank you for your message,

I enscripted a 3kb text file which gave me a 16kb ps file
which print very fast.
By the way, I never had problems printing text files.

Now, I think you are right when you say that it doesn't seem
to be a kprinter problem. I tried with abiword, if I use tha print
command 'lpr' or '/opt/kde/bin/kprinter --stdin', the result is the
same: it prints pretty fast.
But if I try the same test with Kword, it's slow...
Maybe the problem is Kapps...

2 days ago, I noticed if I print from a Kapp to a PS file and
then, if I use a simple "ps2ps in.ps out.ps", 'lpr in.ps' is
slow but 'lpr out.ps' is fast...

Anyway, I also have a problem with 'kcmshell printmgr':
if I right click on a printer and choose 'configure', I
have a message error "Unable to load valid driver for
printer HP2. Error message received from manager:
The IPP request failed for an unknown reason."

And I have this message if I try to configure a printer
that I installed from Cups web interface or from
kcmshell printmgr.
In the latter one, when it asks me for a driver,
I choose my w2k ppd, everything seems OK, but next, if
I look to the driver settings (Properties), nothing appears.
But it's perhaps another problem.

I'm using Slackware 8.1, KDE3.01 (I also tried on a
Mandrake 8.1 - KDE2.2 and Slack 9.1 - KDE3.1)

Thank you for your help.
Paul