Printing options

Anthony PAUL annataka at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 15 12:32:19 CEST 2003

Hi list,

I have problems using HP PS Printers with Kapplications (kde2.2 & kde3) and
Cups 1.1.19
I use PPD file taken from a Win2000 box
It seems Kapp send too huge files to the printer.

Printing text files or test page works very well, but when I want to print a
doc with graphics from a Kapp, it takes a while to print.

For my example, I try to print a JPG from konqueror.
If I click on "print" button, I have to wait 3 minutes while the printer is
receiving data before it prints.
Since I don't know how to get the PS file sent by konqueror, I try to print
one more time but with 'to file (postscript)' option. I get foo.ps.

If I type 'lpr foo.ps', it takes also 3 minutes. So I guess konqueror send
this file to my printer.

Since I also don't know how to get resolution of a ps file, I use:
ps2ps -r 600x600 foo.ps res.ps
and I print it: lpr res.ps
Then it prints really fast !

It also prints fast if I print from StarOffice (which doesn't seems to use
kprinter)

My printer is configured with 600dpi in my Cups configuration, so I guess
it's a kprinter problem.
How can I make it working better ?

Thanks by advance. Hope my explaination is understandable...

Paul