HELP WANTED: kdeprint with GNUlpr

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Tue Nov 25 09:24:36 CET 2003

> Suggestion:
>
> Message=lp is ready and printing;
> Rank=active:Owner=jrt:Job=5:Files=...:Total Size=73269 bytes;
> Rank=1st:Owner=jrt:Job=6:Files=...:Total Size=73269 bytes;
>
> This should be easier to parse.

I suggested XML because Qt already has an XML parser built-in
that does the job for you. Any other format is also good.

> The FooMatic PPD files contain in addition to this,
> information for the filter to use when
> executing GhostScript.  This information is not used by the
> application so it does not
> need to be in a PPD file.

Some options are not use at application-level, but you still
want the user be able to select them: media type, input slot,
color level, gamma correction... Where do you put them?

> The reason is that putting this all in a poorly documented
> 'magic file' makes it hard to
> add a printer which GhostScript supports but the filter
> system doesn't.
>
> In my case, the printer is supported and I know (or can
> figure out) the command line to
> use it with GhostScript.  But, I don't know how to edit the
> 'magic file'.

Maybe we can imagine a little progam to edit the DB (the magic
file), and add the missing entry with the required informations
like the gs driver, page sizes... Till?