HELP WANTED: kdeprint with GNUlpr

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Tue Nov 25 09:14:56 CET 2003

> > non-PS printers, a PPD file is bound to the driver.
>
> I don't think that this is necessary since it is first to
> describe the printer and second
> to provide information for the *application's* PostScript driver.

What I meant is that the options described in a PPD file
(especially for non-PS printers) are bound to the underlying
gs driver, because they must be supported by the driver,
otherwise there's no point to have them. If you detach the
PPD file from the driver, the only options you can put in
a PPD file are page sizes and resolutions.

> But, most applications and printer control widgets assume
> square resolution.

Adobe specifications support different X and Y resolution, so
it's better to know it and take it into account. You're then
ready when application's PS driver support assymmetrical
resolution.

> > Did you try to contact linuxprinting.org guys to update the
> DB? Did you try with a
> > generic driver?
>
> It works fine with the GNUlpr filter.  I contacted the LPRng
> mailing list.

Foomatic DB (like any other similar open project) heavily relies
on users to complete the DB. You should definitively contact
Till to add an entry for your printer.

> What I am suggesting that instead of being put in the PPD
> file that all GS Device (or
> other driver) information should be in a separate
> configuration file (like: "LibAPS":
>
> 	http://sourceforge.net/projects/libaps/
>
> Yet Another Dead Printing Project. :-D
> ).
>
> I would suggest that the configure file contain:
>
> <User assigned printer name>
>      <PPD name with full path>
>      "GhostScript" <device> | <Other device> | "PostScript"
>      <resolution(s)> | "ALL"
> 	<Command line> | <other filter information>
> 	<other dependencies> | ""
>              Capabilities supported

All this information is already contained in the Foomatic DB.
Please don't reinvent the wheel :-)