HELP WANTED: kdeprint with GNUlpr

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Mon Nov 24 09:27:36 CET 2003

The problem James have with printing Postscript files is related
to the fact that the user can install fonts in its own $HOME
folder. The spooler is executed in the root's space, and not in
the user's space, so when gs is executed by the spooler (LPRng,
Foomatic...), GS_LIB is not correctly set, and gs doesn't have
access to the user's font. OTOH, print preview is executed in
the user's space, so everything is OK then. This is bad for the
user because the preview is OK, but printing is not.

The main answer James has faced until now is "embed fonts" or
"this is not my fault". Indeed, where's the fault?
- KDEPrint for generating preview that may not correspond to
  what'll be printed
- CUPS for not setting GS_LIB variable correctly (or not trying
  to do so)
- KDE for letting the user install fonts in non system directories
The solution is not that simple. Fixing the problem in LPR was
really easy because the print process is executed in the user's
space, so the only fix is to make the filter script a login
script. In CUPS, the user under which print processes are executed
is fixed in cupsd.conf.

Note that whatever the print spooler, James's fix only work for
local systems: print spooler and applications on the same computer.

Michael.