newbie : setting up IPP on Suse

Michael Goffioul goffioul at imec.be
Thu May 22 18:57:33 CEST 2003

> 1. I've configured CUPSD as my printing subsystem
> 2. I've started the CUPSD daemon and it's definitely running.
> 3. I've configured the printer using ESP and it has a URI of 'Device
> URI: http://149.44.104.205:631/ '
> 4. The printer definitely supports IPP. It's an HP 4050 and if I web
> into it then I can see the IPP tag on the left
> 5. I can ping the printer from my SuSE server.
> 6. The printer is working - I can print to it from windows
> 7. I've set debug in my cups.conf and the output from when I send a test
> page is shown below.
>
> It's possible I have the wrong URI but I've tried all sorts of
> combinations of ipp:// and http:// etc etc

I have a Canon iR6000 that also support IPP natively. However, the
URI to use is http://<printer-IP>:631/ipp (note the suffix "/ipp").
Using the add printer wizard of KDE, you can scan the network for
your printer, then select it, KDEPrint will automatically discover
the correct URI to use.

Michael Goffioul		IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul at imec.be	(Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510		Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515		3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM
This e-mail and/or its attachments may contain confidential
information.  It is intended solely for the intended addressee(s).
Any use of the information contained herein by other persons is
prohibited.  IMEC vzw does not accept any liability for the contents
of this e-mail and/or its attachments.