Duplex Printing Emulation

Joe josephj at buffnet.net
Wed May 14 01:54:49 CEST 2003

I have an HP Deskjet (895Cse) attached to a Mandrake 9.1 rc2 system
(PII, 266MHz) being used as a stand alone desktop system (one user at a
time - not serving anything) (hpijs driver). I want to emulate duplex
printing.  The printer does not directly support this in hardware, but
under Windoze, it is accomplished by printing odd pages reverse, then
pausing with a dialog box for me to remove, flip, and reinsert the
paper, then printing even pages forward.  It also knows to print an
additional blank page at the end to eject the last page if the total
number of pages is odd.

If Windoze can do it ... certainly Linux can!  But how?

I've already done it manually using xpp (and I see kde-printer has
similar parameters), but this requires manually printing everything
twice and setting a bunch of options and is very operator (me) error prone.

I took a look at the xpp source code and very quickly determined that
modifying it to do what I want or writing my own application to call
CUPS was way beyond my current skill level.

 From reading the kprinter documentation, it seems like I could write a
shell script to call kprinter with command line parameters to print my
file odd, reverse, no interaction and then print it again even, forward,
and let the display pop up so it would wait for me to do the paper
gymnastics. This would definitely be a kludge, but it would be a vast
improvement over how I am doing it now.

However, I could not figure out how to pass the necessary parameters to
kprinter.  Everything I tried was ignored.

Can someone show me the correct syntax for the kprinter command to do
this (if it can be done)?

Is there anything I can run from a shell script that will return the
number of pages in a print job so I can test it for odd and print an
extra blank page to eject the last odd page?  This would be very nice,
but I can live without it.

Has anyone come up with a better way to do this?

My proposed kludge will probably work for printing one file at a time,
but it would almost certainly fail if I tried to queue up more than one
print job.

As Linux penetrates the desktop market, there should a large number of
users with inexpensive printers who wouldn't mind saving a few trees,
some space, and some money by printing on both sides of the paper.  I
think they would use something like this if it was available as a single
step procedure.

Thanks.

Joe