KDEPrint on other *NIX platforms.

Nick Bartolotti kde-print@mail.kde.org
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:10:40 -0500

Chris,

Thanks for the information.  We are considering writing a front end and
filter chain for CUPS for a specialized printer but I do not want to
force the user to use KDE for the utility if they are on HP-UX 11 or
Solaris 8/9.

That is, if we write this front end using Qt/KED, how does the end-user
use the program from within CDE?  My guess is that they can't without
first reconfiguring the system to use KDE instead of CDE.  If they do
this, what affect will this have with respect to all the other
already-installed GUI applications on the system?

My guess is they will no longer work.

So what this boils down to is whether or not I have to develop and
maintain one or two sets of source code for the GUI (ignoring CPU for
the moment).

That is,

Set 1:
GUI for CDE (assuming CDE is *really* common) for HP-UX 11 and Solaris
8/9.  I expect to have to recompile on each system to get the
appropriate binaries.  I also expect minor differences that may require
conditional compilation.

Set 2:
GUI for KDE on Redhat 8.0.

What do you think?