KDEPrint on other *NIX platforms.

Nick Bartolotti kde-print@mail.kde.org
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 11:19:47 -0500

Mattias & Kurt,

Thank you for your responses.

Since I'm not a seasoned UNIX expert, please correct me where I am wrong
in the next statements.

We wrote a C++ class library that wrapped the CUPS API and planned on
using it as a middle tier between a GUI and the lower-level printing
sub-system (CUPS).  We were planning on using this class to support a
specific printer (although, in theory, it could support any printer).
We did this because CUPS is supported on Linux, HP-UX, and Solaris, our
three target systems.

Later, we found KDEPrint essentially does what we want which is why we
started investigating its possible use on other platforms (HP-UX and
Solaris).

>From this investigation, it seems that the desktop environment's GUI
library must match the library used for the GUI apps.  For Redhat, I
have read that GNOME and KDE apps are mostly compatible, but for Solaris
and HP-UX, the default desktop environment is CDE.  My guess is that any
GUI app that I want to run under CDE must be linked against the CDE
libraries (whatever they are) as opposed to the Qt libraries.

I think the other option is Motif, but I'm not sure where Motif fits
into the picture.

Thanks,
Nick.