Printer driver UI [proposal]

Robert L Krawitz kde-print@mail.kde.org
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 07:06:49 -0500

   Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 23:02:20 -0500
   From: Mike Sweet <mike@easysw.com>

   Robert L Krawitz wrote:
   >    Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 12:34:07 -0500
   >    From: Michael Sweet <mike@easysw.com>
   >
   >    However, to comment specifically on your example - it would be
   >    impossible to accurately preview the results of changing a color
   >    channel curve without having a colorimetric (e.g. ICC) profile for
   >    the output device, at which point such curves are probably not
   >    needed anyways...
   >
   > As an example of how I think something like this could be useful:
   > consider a photographer using a hextone inkset, which is usually
   > black, warm and cool versions of midtone grays, and a light gray.  She
   > would profile her combination of paper, ink, printer, and resolution,
   > and then use a slider to control the degree of warmth of the output.

   However, with this example there is no way to generate an accurate
   preview image without knowing the relationship (i.e. profile) between
   the inks, media, and screen.

Right, so in addition to the profiling for the inks, media, and such,
there's also a screen profile, and the previewing application is color
managed, with the ability to adjust *its* curves.  But what's the
issue here?

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk@alum.mit.edu>

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf@uunet.uu.net