Printer driver UI [proposal]

Chema Celorio kde-print@mail.kde.org
13 Mar 2003 17:09:35 -0600

	A number of people in the printing community have identified the need
to improve the user experience in this particular area that you are
describing. The main issue I see with your proposal is that you are
trying to describe how the UI is going to be layed out by the GUI
application, I don't think we want to do that but rather provide the
information to the GUI level so that it can make smart decisions as how
best to layout the interface.

	Describing the interface in the data file is going to be hard to get
right and the process to fine tune or update the interface is going to
be slow. There are just too many things to take into account, we
probably want different versions of the GUI for different levels of
complexities and I don't think we want to put that much info in such a
lower level in the chain. We might not agree how the interface is going
to look for all of the consumers of this format.

	I'd like instead for the data that something like gnome-print or
KDEPrint gets to be grouped, categorized, etc. so that we can make a
smart decision about how the GUI looks. You could say for example this
attributes are color adjustments, this are advanced options and we
should know where we want to put the widely used options (like we do
now).

	This might be a good time to also raise the issue about the limitations
that the having a PPD based print system is imposing upon us. The PPD
format was designed some time ago and we are using it for more complex
definitions. The gimp-print guys have expressed this too giving as an
example trying to specify a color correction curve on a PPD file, or how
they have to fill a range of values like options to accommodate for a
floating point setting.

regards,
Chema