System-wide printers.conf for rlpr

Michael Goffioul kde-print@mail.kde.org
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 14:50:25 +0100

ChristopherHuhn wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'd like to create a system-wide printers.conf file under KDE 3.0.5a
> containing the several rlpr printqueues in our LAN.
> Is this possible even though the documentation points out that "Printers
> are stored on a per
> user basis".
>
> If not you may take this as a feature request.

When listing printers, KDEPrint parse the file printers.conf.
These are the printers that are shown to the user within KDE apps.
The idea with the rlpr plugin is that each user only installs the
printers he wants to use using the wizard. When the user is
installing a printer with the wizard, he's given a list of
"available" queues. This list is built by parsing 2 system-wide
files: /etc/rlprrc and /etc/printcap. The format of rlprrc is

servername:queuename

So, as you can see, you cannot define a system-wide printers.conf
file, but you can provide a system-wide list of available printers
on the network from which the user has to select the ones he wants
to use.

Michael Goffioul		IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be	(Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510		Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515		3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM
This e-mail and/or its attachments may contain confidential
information.  It is intended solely for the intended addressee(s).
Any use of the information contained herein by other persons is
prohibited.  IMEC vzw does not accept any liability for the contents
of this e-mail and/or its attachments.