Newbie Just Tryin' to Print from KDE

Kurt Pfeifle kde-print@mail.kde.org
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 21:04:16 +0100

Chris Howells wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sunday 26 January 2003 18:13, C. K. Lester wrote:
>
>>FreeBSD 4.7
>>Epson Stylus Color 900 (does not support PostScript)
>>XPP is installed
>>I thought I had CUPS installed. When I type "cupsd" as root from / it gives
>>no message. When I "ps -a" afterwards, I don't see anything about CUPS. I'm
>>running the latest stable KDE.
>

> Have you installed Cups from packages or ports? If you head to
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d, you should see a script to start cups. If it's called
> cups.sh.sample or similair, move it to cups.sh. You can now start cups by
> doing:
>
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cups.sh start
>
> do a
>
> ps aux | grep cups
>
> to check that it is indeed running. After you've got the cups server running,
> you can configure it by going to http://localhost:631

Not *exactly* true. The *server* (meaning the CUPS daemon) is configured
by editing cupsd.conf (or by using the KDE kcontrol modul for "Printing
Manager" and clicking on the icon named "Configure Server").

Via http://localhost:631/ you can manage *printers*, *classes*, *jobs* and
*read documentation* -- but not configure the server itself...

Cheers,
Kurt