Understanding the export printer driver feature

Chris Howells kde-print@mail.kde.org
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 19:05:32 +0000

Hi,

On Sunday 26 January 2003 14:11, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:

> The "download area" is the "print$" share of the Samba server (or, any NT
> print server). Win clients are hardcoded to retrieve printer drivers from=
> share named "print$". It *must* appear in the smb.conf with a [print$]
> heading, and the "path" defined in there *must* exist on Unix.

I think that bit is OK, my smb.conf has a section like the following:

[print$]
  comment =3D Printer Drivers
  path =3D /usr/local/samba/drivers
  browseable =3D yes
  #guest only =3D yes
  guest ok =3D no
  read only =3D yes
  write list =3D root

(note that I have samba largely configured for anonymous access using guest=
=20
only =3D yes)

Can the path section be anywhere? On FreeBSD, the smb.conf file is under=20
/usr/local/etc, so I didn't quite know where to set it to.

<snip lots of useful info>

>   * Can you check if the "0" and "2" subdirs are created?

They aren't.

>   * What are the ac by the "rpcclient adddriver" command; the initializit=
ion
(setting the acess rights?

I don't understand this bit unfortunately.

>   * What are the access rights for their parent dirs ("<print$>",

su-2.05b# cd /usr/local/samba/
su-2.05b# ls -l
total 2
drwxrwxr-x  4 root  wheel  512 Jan 25 18:53 drivers
su-2.05b# cd drivers/
su-2.05b# ls -l
total 4
drwxrwxr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Jan 25 18:53 W32X86
drwxrwxr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Jan 25 18:53 WIN40

>     "<print$>/W32X86", <print$>/WIN40") ?  (You could do "smbclient
>     //localhost/print\$ -U root%root" and see if you get the "smb: \>"
> prompt; if yes, try to see what's in and if you can move there: "dir" ; "=
cd
> 2"; "dir".

I get the smb prompt, and I can dir, cd and even mkdir.

>   * What do you see as the respective content of the subdirs?

su-2.05b# find . -name "*"
=2E
=2E/W32X86
=2E/W32X86/hpdj3820.PPD
=2E/W32X86/ADOBEPS5.DLL
=2E/W32X86/ADOBEPSU.DLL
=2E/W32X86/ADOBEPSU.HLP
=2E/WIN40
=2E/WIN40/hpdj3820.PPD
=2E/WIN40/ADFONTS.MFM
=2E/WIN40/ADOBEPS4.DRV
=2E/WIN40/ADOBEPS4.HLP
=2E/WIN40/DEFPRTR2.PPD
=2E/WIN40/ICONLIB.DLL
=2E/WIN40/PSMON.DLL

>   * Is it really true that there is nothing there in the "download area"?=
 )

I don't think so :)

> You could try and start with a *clean* Samba environment. To cleanse that
> environment for the purpose....
>
>    ...delete all existing files and subdirs underneath [print$], and

Done.

>    ...delete all *.tdb files created by Samba (possibly in
> "/var/lib/samba/", "/var/lock/samba/", "/var/cache/samba/",
> "/usr/var/lib/samba/", or "/usr/var/cache/samba/" or
> "/usr/var/lock/samba/", depending on your distro...

OK, I deleted all the tdb files apart from /usr/local/private/secrets.tdb.

> and restart Samba. (NOTE, that all user auth info might be lost -- if you
> need it back up the files first, or just delete the "ntprinters.tdb",
> "printing.tdb" and "ntdrivers.tdb" files selectively.)

Restarted samba -> still doesn't work :(

> I noticed you are using Samba 2.2.7a (that's OK -- it's the latest). What
> is the version of CUPS you are running (This could be very relevant,
> because IIRC, there were some incompatibilities and/or bugs between certa=
in
> CUPS and certain Samba versions...?

I'm running Cups 1.1.15, from FreeBSD packages. I wonder if it's just=20
completely broken on FreeBSD, since I can't see anything wrong :(

Thanks very much for the ideas.

=2D --=20
Cheers, Chris Howells -- chris@chrishowells.co.uk, howells@kde.org
Web: http://chrishowells.co.uk, PGP key: http://chrishowells.co.uk/pgp.txt