Epson Stylus Color 900

Till Kamppeter kde-print@mail.kde.org
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 03:55:39 +0100

The most important what you need is GhostScript and a driver (in your
case GIMP-Print, http://gimp-print.sf.net/), these two translate the
incoming PostScript to the printer's language. As spooler CUPS is the
one which integrates best with KDE Print, but LPD/LPRng is also
supported but you should use Foomatic then (in contrary to apsfilter
Foomatic is directly supported by the KDE Printing Manager).

Foomatic you find on www.linuxprinting.org.

To get GhostScript and GIMP-Print running, proceed as follows (if your
distro does not provide packages for GhostScript and GIMP-Print 4.2.x):

The best is to use ESP GhostScript, as it contains all current drivers
and the IJS plug-in interface. Download it from
http://www.cups.org/ghostscript.html (works with all spoolers not only
with CUPS). Do

    gs -h > info.txt

with your old ghostscript. info.txt contains now the search for the
fonts in its end. Uninstall GhostScript and any old GIMP-Print 4.0.x
package. Uncompress ESP GhostScript and install the IJS library
contained in the "ijs" subdirectory of GhostScript.

Then compile and install GIMP-Print:

    ./configure --without-gimp --with-ijs
    make
    make install

Compile GhostScript using the font paths which you have saved in the
info.txt file:

    ./configure --with-ijs --with-fontpath=<path>:<path>:...
--with-drivers=ALL,stp
    make
    make install

Go to linuxprinting.org, look up your printer, download the config file
according to your spooler and follow the instructions for your spooler.
You can also install the Foomatic package, from
http://www.linuxprinting.org/foomatic.html and then you can set up your
print queue easily with the KDE Printing Manager.

    Till