Kdeprint not passing enviroment to ghostscript??

me kde-print@mail.kde.org
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 04:06:59 -0600

Hello all,

I have been troubleshooting my print system and have hit a brick wall.=20

I am using Mandrake 9.0 , Cups for the spooler, HP Deskjet 712=20
(foomatic+pnm2ppa) , ghostscript.

I can print any graphic file from kdeprint, but text files never print.

The cups error log shows ghostscript can not find a font and can not=20
substitute for the font and gives the following:

Unable to substitute for font.
Error: /invalidfont in findfont

NOW, at this point it seems to be a ghostscript configuration problem, Ho=
wever=20
if I use LP at a command line it will print text files perfectly.=20

The fonts do exist in /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1 and reading the=20
ghostscript docs I tried adding that to GS_LIB and GS_FONTPATH then expor=
ting=20
them and this did not let GS find the fonts. I tried putting links to the=
=20
fonts in the directory /usr/share/cups/fonts. I ran the KDE addprinter an=
d in=20
directories I added /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1 and ghostscript to the=
=20
font directories.

I found one of the scripts that made GS_FONTPATH=3D$CUPSFONTPATH, this ma=
y not=20
be the exact cups variable but close. I could find nothing in cups that s=
et=20
this variable, looks like it is set by cups from the /etc/cupsd.conf.

I have Mandrake 9.0 installed on a small hard drive with the stock kernel=
 and=20
it will print. I have compared all the configuration files that seemed=20
relevant and nothing looks out of place.

This has been going on for abt 3 weeks and I'm about to pull out what hai=
r I=20
have left. I'm sure there's something I have over-looked. I know Cups,=20
Foomatic, Ghostscript, PNM2PPA and probably other things are involved but=
 I=20
can not figure out how LP can print and kdeprint fails.

BTW I have an error log with just 1 small print job if it would help.

Thanks for listening, any help or direction would be appreciated.

Jack