Problem printing monochrome images.

Michael Goffioul kde-print@mail.kde.org
Mon, 06 Jan 2003 10:43:58 +0100

I'm sorry, but I cannot reproduce your problem. I tried your 3 images
in bitmap format in 3 ways:
- view and print from konqueror
- view and print from kview
- insert and print from kword
In all cases, I could see the image in the preview window. Your problem
may be more fundamental, and related to a buggy Qt version. I'm not
using SuSE so I cannot check it by myself. But maybe you should consider
upgrading your Qt package.
What you can also try is, while printing to a PS file, edit printer
properties, and select "Grayscale". This is the only potential workaround
that comes to my mind.

Bye.
Michael.

> Hi List.
>
> I hope you can offer me some suggestions for an elusive problem I am having
> with printing under KDE.
>
> Firstly, I want to say that I am reasonably certain that it is to do with
> the postscript produced by the KDE apps, not the kprinter app per se.  If
> there is a better forum for me to ask this question, then please point me
> to it, and sorry for bothering you!
>
> I cannot print grayscale images - either as grayscale or levels of gray in a
> full colour image.
>
> I noticed it first when producing a fax cover in Kword, using an embedded
> grayscale bmp logo image.  the page was fine, except the logo area which
> came out blank.
>
> Further investigation showed that I could not print, or preview the image,
> from Kword, Konqueror, or pixieplus, nor if I converted to a jpg. (which is
> why i think the problem is in the postscript generated by the apps)
>
> As soon as I put some colour into the images (ie not a gray level) I got
> some output, but only in the region of the colour.
>
> There are some test files, both bmp and jpg, all in RGB, and the output
> postscript files from "kprinter -> print to postscript file" available at
> http://www.chilwell.net/~maf  (and a tarball for easy download ;-))
>
> I spent all day yesterday trying to sort this out, and frankly it has got
> me.  Any ideas where to look / tweak?
>
> I am using SuSE 8.1, with all published updates,
> KDE 3.0.4  (but with the SuSE 3.0.5 security update installed)
> Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop - P3-650
>
> Thanks in advance,

Michael Goffioul		IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be	(Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510		Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515		3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM
This e-mail and/or its attachments may contain confidential
information.  It is intended solely for the intended addressee(s).
Any use of the information contained herein by other persons is
prohibited.  IMEC vzw does not accept any liability for the contents
of this e-mail and/or its attachments.