kdeprint 3.1 problem

Michael Goffioul kde-print@mail.kde.org
Wed, 05 Feb 2003 09:49:13 +0100

> > You can access the CUPS web interface (http://hostname:631) remotely,
> > but the "print" ioslave is KDE-specific, so it only works within
> > konqueror. If you want to access (from konqueror) a remote CUPS server,
> > you can do it by changing the hostname in the KDEPrint settings dialog.
> > The "print" ioslave doesn't support yet hostname specification in the
> > URL.
> >
> Of course for Cups, that's already working but kdeprint web interface is more functionnal than
> cups one ! Is this could be a future feature ? I think this could be interesting to monitore Cups
> with Kdeprint remotely.

Well, I wouldn't say that the KDEPrint web interface is *functional*,
it just presents some info to the user without any interaction possibility.
However, if you want to control a CUPS server remotely, you can do it
through the print manager: just open the settings dialog, and enter the
name of the remote computer where the CUPS server runs. You should be
able to control this remote CUPS server as if it was local.

The only extension of the KDEPrint web interface I can think of, is to
allow the hostname specification in the URL, but this wouldn't give
any control possibilities, neither any way to do it outside konqueror.

Michael Goffioul		IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be	(Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510		Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515		3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM
This e-mail and/or its attachments may contain confidential
information.  It is intended solely for the intended addressee(s).
Any use of the information contained herein by other persons is
prohibited.  IMEC vzw does not accept any liability for the contents
of this e-mail and/or its attachments.