Print manager crashes when selecting cups print system -resolved

Michael Goffioul goffioul at imec.be
Mon Apr 28 11:55:11 CEST 2003

> I finally managed to get my printing problems resolved. To recap, I was
> running Debian and KDE3.1.1. When I installed cups, I could not print test
> pages and also got error messages re esp-gs not being loaded.
> Recent updates to debian unstable resolved the issue about not being able to
> print out test pages but printing out of KDE applications would still not
> work. If the cups print system was selected the print job never made it to
> the printer and the print dialog crashed.
> It seems that from KDE 3.1.0 to 3.1.1 a bug was somehow introduced and it is
> being worked on. Supposedly 3.2 will have it fixed. In the meantime, for some
> reason or another, reversing the order of things in /etc/hosts will fix
> things. I went from the line 127.0.0.1 localhost <name> to 127.0.0.1 <name>
> localhost and all the problems went away.
> This has got to be the weirdest thing I have ever run across .......

This problem was a bug in some KDE core class (outside of KDEPriny).
AFAIK it has been solved, see bug #56263.

Michael Goffioul		IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul at imec.be	(Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510		Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515		3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM
This e-mail and/or its attachments may contain confidential
information.  It is intended solely for the intended addressee(s).
Any use of the information contained herein by other persons is
prohibited.  IMEC vzw does not accept any liability for the contents
of this e-mail and/or its attachments.