psnup, low resolution

Michael Goffioul kde-print@mail.kde.org
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 09:40:17 +0200

Benjamin Lutz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using FreeBSD 4.6.2, KDE 3.0.3 and CUPS with a Laserjet 6P.
>
> Printing works ok more or less (there's a few rough edges), there's one
> thing that bugs me though:
>
> When I use the psnup file in kprinter and have it output 2/4 pages on one
> sheet of paper, it prints the page alright, however the resolution is
> *very* low (can't be more than a few dozen dpi). This makes small text
> unreadable. Other filters like psselect seem to work fine.
>
> Any suggestions on how to fix this?

It sounds obvious that you'll loose in resolution by printing
several pages on one. However, the global result might also
depend on the driver you're using for your printer. If you're
using Foomatic (don't know what's standard under FreeBSD), then
have a look at http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=152585
to learn the drivers available for your printer.
>From the KDEPrint point of view, I cannot do much. The PS is
processed then sent to the spooler, rasterization is the responsability
of CUPS.

Bye.

Michael Goffioul		IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be	(Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510		Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515		3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM