"Unable to load a valid driver"

Michael Goffioul kde-print@mail.kde.org
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 10:47:18 +0100

> Hi,
>
> Another problem ;)
>
> I'm using the hipjs-rss drivers in combination with CUPS and a HP DeskJet 3820
> (I got the PPD file from linuxprinting.org). I'm using the KDE 3.1beta2
> source packages and Qt 3.0.5.

Do you have an idea about when the problem appeared:
- upgrading KDE
- upgrading Qt
- installing the printer
- changing the driver

> When I click on the printer in the printing manager, and choose "Configure..."
> I get the following message:
>
> "Unable to load a valid driver for printer hpdj3820. Error message received
> from manager:
>
> The IPP request failed for an unknown reason."
>
> I can't anything useful in /var/log/cups.

I downloaded the PPD file from linuxprinting and didn't have any problem
to play with it. So it's not a driver loading problem, but more a
PPD file retrieval problem. What's the URI of the printer? Is the
server mentionned in that URI known in your network?

Michael Goffioul		IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be	(Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510		Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515		3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM