Setting up HP OfficeJet T65

Kjetil Kjernsmo kde-print@mail.kde.org
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 10:31:25 +0200

Hello folks!

I'm setting up a HP OfficeJet T65 on the (only) parallell port of a box=20
running Debian Woody, but I have so far been unsuccessful in getting it t=
o=20
work with KDEPrint. But the KDEPrint UI is really neat, so I would really=
=20
like it to work. I have no particular preferences when it comes to print=20
system, but I'm sure CUPS is fine, so if anybody could help me set that u=
p, I=20
would be happy!

I'm using the HPOJ package supplied with Woody, that's the latest 0.8 ver=
sion.=20
The ptal-* daemons are running fine, and I think the CUPS daemon is fine =
too,=20
though I haven't tested it (don't know how).

I can print, using a hacked-up shell-script I wrote on the basis of HPOJ =
and=20
HPIJS docs ( http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/hpoj-0.8/doc/setup-print.html ):
#! /bin/sh
cat $1 | gs -q -sDEVICE=3Dhpijs -sDeviceName=3DDJ8xx -r300x300 -sPAPERSIZ=
E=3Da4=20
-dNOPAUSE -dSAFER -sOutputFile=3D- - | ptal-print mlc:par:0
But printing a PS-file using this is not by far as nice as the KDEPrint G=
UI... =20
:-) Besides, there is no queue.=20

However, as can be seen from the above DeviceName, the DeskJet 800C serie=
s=20
HPIJS driver can be used for this printer. But that's not an option when=20
choosing printer from the list of "Add Printer Wizard". I've tried the 81=
0C=20
option, but I can't print the test page, so I haven't explored that furth=
er.
The printer seems to be detected OK by this wizard, the correct name pops=
 up=20
in the "local port selection" dialogue.

Does anybody have an idea where I should go on from here? Perhaps it is j=
ust a=20
matter of letting CUSP know about this HPIJS DJ8xx driver, but how do I d=
o=20
that?

Best,

Kjetil