kprint from WordPerfect Office 2000??

Bruce Best (CRO) kde-print@mail.kde.org
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 09:00:01 -0400

Kurt (and list)

I was fiddling around a bit more with WPO 2000 and printing using
cups/kprint

1) symlinking /etc/printcap to /etc/printcap.cups worked to allow me to
print to the default cups printer, but of course doesn't let me take
advantage of kprint.

2) setting up the various scripts and so forth as suggested by Kurt didn't
work, and, unfortunately, broke WPO altogether.

Wordperfect office is, unfortunately, a very touchy and fragile beast, from
what I can gather, so this is not a criticism of Kurt's suggestions at all.
It seems from the wpo2000 newsgroups that WPO will generally break whenever
you try to do something slightly unexpected. And, more unfortunately, it
doesn't start working again if you revert back to the former settings. I
will lurk around the Corel WPO Linux newsgroups to figure out how to get it
up again.

The two most common problems in getting WPO to work appear to be (1) fonts,
and (2) printing. It won't run at all unless it is happy with the printing
options it finds, so when it sees something it doesn't expect (possibly like
lpr being a symlink), it panics and immediately damages its configuration
files beyond repair. (I'm not kidding - the most common fix suggested by
Corel for various problems is "setupWPO2000 --force, which rewrites all the
configuration files).

Thanks for the suggestions. If I figure out how to use kprint from WPO2000,
I will post back.

Bruce