kprint from WordPerfect Office 2000??

Kurt Pfeifle kde-print@mail.kde.org
Wed, 02 Oct 2002 17:31:32 +0200

Bruce Best (CRO) wrote:

> I did a quick google groups search, and found a thread in "WP Office 2000
> Linux - How to change printer???" in the newsgroup
> corelsupport.wordperfect-linux.

I've not looked at it.

> The thread seems to suggest that WPO2000
> gets its printer list from /etc/printcap.

This is most likely true: the printer*list* -- yes; the print*command* --no!

> I am using cups, and haven't
> thought about /etc/printcap for years.

CUPS only writes a printcap, if the cupsd.conf has a "Printcap /etc/printcap"
directive. CUPS itself doesn't need one. It only provides it for convenience
of legacy apps who "go on print strike" if they don't see one. It is not
a "complete" printcap, but only a simple list of printer names. Apps are not
looking for more than printernames there....

> I am guessing that the solution would be to put a "kprinter" entry in
> /etc/printcap. Does this sound sensible?

No. "/etc/printcap" is a list of printernames.
kprinter is a printcommand (which can take as one parameter a printername:
"kprinter -d printername"

> What would such an entry look like?

With CUPS the printcap is either

   * written by the CUPS daemon itself and kept current across
     printer additions, deletions or pick-ups via "browsing information"
     picked up from other CUPS servers

   * non-existent (or not relvant, because it is lying around as a remnant
     from a different printing system)

> The thread is at:
>
> http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=3a54200a.
> 229973%40news.giganews.com&rnum=4&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dwordperfect%2Boffice%2B
> 2000%2Blinux%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D3a54200a.2
> 29973%2540news.giganews.com%26rnum%3D4
>
> or search for
>
> WP Office 2000 Linux - How to change printer???
>
> in groups.google.com
>
> Bruce

You really need a possibility to define a "print command". Something were you
can re-name the "lpr" used...

One other chance is this:

* you re-name your "lpr" commandline printcoammand to "lpr-cli":
   "mv `which lpr` `which lpr`-cli"

* you symlink a new "lpr" to "kprinter --stdin":
   "ln -s `which kprinter` /usr/bin/lpr"

* try to print from WP2K and see if kprinter pops up. (Possibly you need
   to leave away the "--stdin")

You cannont use "lpr -P printername" any more like before (it will pop up
kprinter). Use "lpr-cli -P printername" or "lp -d printername" instead...

I hope it works...

Cheers,
Kurt