kprinter cli + preview

Michael Goffioul kde-print@mail.kde.org
Thu, 07 Nov 2002 10:11:59 +0100

Till Kamppeter wrote:

> I suggest that kprinter auto-detects whether the input is PostScript (by
> reading the first few lines and buffering them) and this way decide
> whether to enable the "preview" button.

All these ideas are nice, but they all assume that the file to be
printed is known when the print dialog is created. This is absolutely
not guaranteed in kprinter. That's why I disabled preview by default.
kprinter can be started without any argument, and files can be added,
removed, ... in the dialog itself. So you cannot say in advance if
the file to be printed will be PS. And I don't want to limit the
preview in kprinter in cases where data to be printed are coming
from STDIN (like using kprinter from Netscape).
However I already worked on that. It's not commited yet in the CVS
and won't be available in 3.1, but basically, preview is always
available now. If the file is PS, then the normal preview dialog
is used, otherwise the registered viewer (using mime-types) will
be used.

Michael Goffioul		IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be	(Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510		Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515		3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM