kprinter cli + preview

Kurt Pfeifle kde-print@mail.kde.org
Thu, 07 Nov 2002 00:24:16 +0100

Achim Bohnet wrote:

> On Wednesday 06 November 2002 22:18, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>
>>fab wrote:
>>
>>>My problem : I don't have the preview option in the kprinter window when I use
>>>it with the command line (typically > kprinter test.ps ). Is it normal ?
>>>
>>Currently yes. This is by design. Preview only works with PostScript input files.
>>Michael argued that it is only guaranteed to be PostScript, if kprinter is started
>>from within a KDE application (which will generate PostScript as print output).
>
> Uhmm, I thought the 'preview' feature is not implemented yet and we just
> have to wait a bit :(
>
>>However, I'd support to enable the preview option from the comand line too.
>>(Possibly with an extra switch like "--enable-postscript-preview"...).
>
> --such-a-long-option for doing the obvious?

I was about to suggest "--enable-postscript-preview-when-started-from-commandline"
but then had second thoughts

> Bad UI design IMHO :)

It should tell the user implicitely that it is not for previewing text, tiff or
some such...

> Preview can be enabled if mimemagic detects an ps
> file,  like in the 'kprinter my-post-file' case (I guess).

My suggestion was a compromise. It would make the code change mimimal, give
control to the user and take responsibility away from the developer if it
shouldn't work...  ;-)